Grade Point Average (GPA)
Grade point averages are computed on the following grades: "A," "B," "C," "D," "F" or "I" and any pluses or minuses that appear on the record. In computing a grade point average, an "I" counts as an "F" until replaced by the earned grade. Grades of "P," "W," "NA" or "NC" are not used when computing the GPA.
Overall and Institutional GPA
A student's overall grade point average (GPA) is comprised of all work completed at the collegiate level, including work completed at The University of Alabama as well as work completed at other post secondary institutions and accepted for credit at The University of Alabama in accordance with the Transfer Credit Policy. A student's institutional GPA is comprised solely of work completed at The University of Alabama. Both the overall and institutional GPA calculations take into account all attempted work that comprise each individual GPA. All failed, repeated or otherwise insufficient coursework is used to make the calculations.
Sample Overall/Institutional GPA Calculation
A student's overall or institutional GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of GPA hours. (To calculate the total number of quality points earned, refer to the chart in the Grade and Grade Points section of this catalog.) Then, take the point value (4.33, 4.0, etc) of each grade earned and multiply by the number of credit hours each course is worth. The sum total of those calculations will result in the total quality points. The sum of all credit hours used in the GPA calculation will result in the total number of GPA hours. Please note that grades of "P," W," "NA" and "NC" are not included in the GPA calculation. A cumulative grade point average of 4.0 is the highest GPA an undergraduate can receive. See below for a sample calculation:
|GPA Hours||Grade||Quality Points|
Total Quality Points/Total GPA Hours = GPA
Example: 32.67/16 = 2.04 GPA
Major and Minor GPA
In order to graduate with a particular major or minor, a student must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in the courses required for the major or minor. However, a major or minor GPA is calculated differently than an overall or institutional GPA. The same formula of total quality points divide by total GPA hours is used, but certain instances of classes that are included in overall and institutional GPA calculation are excluded when calculating a major or minor GPA.
A student's major GPA is calculated in the following manner:
- Only classes currently completing major or minor requirements up to the total number of hours required for that particular major or minor.
- Failed, repeated or otherwise insufficient attempts of classes are not used in the calculation.
- Successfully completed classes in excess of what is required to complete the major or minor are not used in the calculation.
- When multiple classes can be used to complete a particular requirement, the class with the best grade will be used in the calculation.
- Both UA institutional coursework and transfer work will be used in the calculation.
Other considerations when calculating major and minor GPAs include the following:
- Certain majors or minors may require a GPA higher than a 2.0. Always consult with your academic adviser for requirements specific to your program of study.
- Certain programs of study calculate GPAs for specific groups of courses that do not follow the calculation method outlined above. Always consult with your academic adviser for requirements specific to your program of study.
- Major and minor GPAs are not officially recorded on a student's transcript nor are the calculations stored in the student information system.
Sample Major/Minor GPA Calculation
The requirements for the English minor are as follows:
|1||EN 205 or 215||3|
|2||EN 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, or 249 (or honors equivalent)||9|
|3||EN electives 300 or 400 level||9|
A sample of a student's coursework that could apply to the English minor:
|Course||Grade/Credits||Applied to GPA?||Reason|
|EN 205||A/3||Yes||Applies to Requirement #1|
|EN 206||B/3||Yes||Applies to requirement #2|
|EN 207||A/3||Yes||Applies to requirement #2|
|EN 208||B/3||Yes||Applies to requirement #2|
|EN 208||F/3||No||Class was failed|
|EN 330||A/3||Yes||Applies to requirement #3|
|EN 348||B/3||Yes||Applies to requirement #3|
|EN 422||C/3||Yes||Applies to requirement #3|
|EN 466||C-/3||No||In excess of credits required in requirement #3 and lowest grade of classes that could apply|
The actual calculation of the sample English minor GPA:
Total Quality Points/Total Credits = Minor GPA
Example: 69/21 = 3.28